Places to Visit/Things to Do
If you’re looking to visit an entertaining amusement park, head over to Wonderland Amusement Park. Located in Thompson Memorial Park, the Wonderland Amusement Park is a popular attraction that operates during the months of March through September. The Wonderland Amusement Park is the perfect place to enjoy with your family, especially if you’re bringing your kids with you on your trip to Amarillo, Texas. Wonderland Amusement Park is open different hours, depending on the day and month. To stay updated with their hours, check out their website. Prices also depend on what day you visit. One of the prices you can pay for is the WOW pass, which covers all the rides except certain ones. The prices of the WOW pass range from $16.95 to $24.95. The second pricing option is the Ultimate WOW pass, which covers all the rides. These also range in price, from $31.95 to $39.95.
If you enjoy art, consider visiting the Amarillo Museum of Art. Located within the premises of Amarillo College within Amarillo, Texas, you can find the popular art museum. Art-wise, this museum is the most popular in the area. Founded in 1972, the museum displays mainly 20th century art, including watercolor paintings from the artist Georgia O’Keeffe. The Amarillo Museum of Art is open from 10 am to 5 pm on Tuesday through Friday, and from 1 pm to 5 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. They are closed on Mondays and major holidays. The Amarillo Museum of Art is a perfect place for an art class field trip, with the pricing available on their website. For normal visitors, admission is free.
One of the most popular outdoor attractions is the Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Palo Duro is a canyon system in the vicinity of Amarillo. The Palo Duro Canyon is the second-largest canyon in the United States, only beaten by the Grand Canyon of Arizona. The average width is about 6 miles, but the width reaches 20 miles at certain points. At the state park, you can miles of trails and paths, where you can burn calories while observing the natural wildlife. There are also several campsites where you and your friends or family can stay at. The park is open to the public every day from 7 am to 10 pm. The park headquarters opens at 8 am. To enter Palo Duro Canyon State Park, there are very minimal charges of $5 per adult. For kids under 13, admission is free.
Amarillo has plenty of outdoor activities (as you can see above), but many require plenty of walking and exercise. If you just want a relaxing outdoor activity, visit the Amarillo Botanical Gardens. Here, you can view the native flora of the area, as well as many other beautiful plants and trees. The seasonal gardens are comprised of 4 acres of plants, and the gardens also feature an indoor tropical conservatory. The Amarillo Botanical Gardens is open at different hours during the summer season and the winter. During summer hours, they are open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 7 pm, Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm, and 1 to 5 pm on Sundays. During the winter hours, they are open from 9 am to 5 pm from Tuesday to Friday, Saturday from 1 pm to 5 pm, and closed on Sundays, Mondays, and holidays. Admission costs $5 for adults, $4 for seniors 60 and over, $2 for kids. Those under 5 are free.
Who doesn’t like animals? If you do like them, head over to Amarillo Zoo. Here, you can find an assortment of animals, such as bison, panthers, birds, and plenty of exotic creatures. You can also spot lions, giraffes, tigers, bears, and more traditional zoo animals. The Amarillo Zoo is open everyday from 9:30 am to 5 pm. They are closed on major holidays. On Tuesday through Sunday, admission for adults costs $4, $3 for seniors over 62, $2 for kids 3 to 12, and free for those under 3. On Monday, admission for adults costs $2, $1.50 for seniors, $1 for kids aged 3 to 12, and free for those under 3. Having a fun day at this zoo won’t break your account. That’s one of the main reasons you should visit the Amarillo Zoo while in town.
Best Way to Tour Amarillo, TX
- The best way to tour the city of Amarillo (as well as many other cities) is by chartered buses and vans. Explore at your own pace within the safety of your private vehicle. Don’t worry about ordering an Uber or Lyft when you have your own exploration vehicle. Through Prompt Bus Charters, you can order the buses you need. Prompt Bus Charters is an amazing, affordable chartered vehicle company that caters to your every needs. Whether you need a bus for school trips, marriages, parties, campaigns, or whatever else, Prompt Bus Charters can help you. Prompt Bus Charters offers buses, mini buses, school buses, party buses, and more. Most activities and destinations listed above and below are accessible by chartered buses. Visit www.promptbuscharters.com to book your rental bus today!
Best Places to Eat/Shop
- Westgate Mall –Amarillo has two main shopping malls. The Westgate Mall is the more popular of the two. They feature plenty of shops, stores, dining options, and services. Some stores include American Eagle, Dillard’s, Hollister, JCPenney, Pacsun, and more.
- Wolflin Square – Wolflin Square is the second of the two main shopping malls in Amarillo. Wolflin Square is a more local mall, featuring more services and local businesses than Westgate Mall. They feature home décor stores, simple dining options, services, and more.
- Ohms Café & Catering – Ohms Café & Catering is one of the most popular sit-down restaurants in Amarillo. The American-International restaurant features plenty of options for different types of eaters, including gluten-free options. Ohms is rated the best fine-dining restaurant in Amarillo by tripadvisor in 2018.
- Tyler’s Barbecue – Who doesn’t enjoy a great barbecue meal? Enjoy one at Tyler’s Barbecue, one of the most popular joints in the Amarillo area. Tyler’s Barbecue is rated the #1 local cuisine restaurant in Amarillo by tripadvisor in 2018.
- Evocation Coffee – Everyone needs a cup of joe at one point. Get some amazing coffee and teas at Evocation Coffee. The American café features plenty of items on their menu, mainly for breakfast. Evocation Coffee is rated the #1 coffee & tea café in Amarillo by tripadvisor in 2018.